[imp] Default charset for broken mails

Daniel Eckl daniel.eckl at gmx.de
Fri May 14 06:32:36 PDT 2004

Hi dear list,

does anyone know a way to set the default charset which will be used, if
the viewed mail has broken headers?

Everyday I get mails which have wrong and strange headers like:

or sometimes no content-type header at all.

But everytime, this was in fact Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8-bit and
charset ISO-8859-1.

If they are included in a utf-8 page without conversion, I have the
classical white-on-black question marks for 8-bit chars.

So my problems would be solved by having a fallback for

I know this is a difficult subject and also a philosophical problem of
how error tolerant a mail client should be.

I opened such mails with kmail, too and they managed to encode them
correctly, so there seems to be the possibility to be somewhat more
error tolerant.

I hope there is such a possibility in IMP too...

Greets,
Daniel