[imp] Default charset for broken mails

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri May 14 06:43:46 PDT 2004

Hi Eckl,

I have a client that experience the same exact problems.  Right now,
they hacked the IMP source so as to convert from ISO-8859-1 to UTF8
systematically when no charset is specified in the mail.  In their
particuliar setting (university with a lot of foreign sydents), I think
the cure is worst than the problem as it will screw up beyond repair the
display of mail sent in unspecified charset other than ISO-8859-1.

A possible, if inelegant, work around for this is to set the display
charset of your browser to ISO-8859-1 when you read mail with
unspecified chaset.  I say inelegant as the part of the interface that
(menu, etc) that _is_ in UTF8 would now look funny, but at least you can
read the mail then switch back to UTF8.  From what I can see, bot IE and
Mozilla let you change charset displayed on the fly (View -> Character
Coding in Mozilla).

Better yet would be to serve the page in ISO-8859-1 in the first place,
which would leave only mail in charset other than ISO-8859-1 broken.  I
search for how to do that for a while, then gave up.  If I understand
correctly, the charset is negociated with the client and web browsers
seem to insist on UTF8.  If one know how to force Horde to be served in
ISO-8859-1, I would like to hear about it.