[imp] Cursor position in Reply

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed May 26 09:34:04 PDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Darren Moore wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am using imp 3.2.2 and I noticed that when I reply to a mail, the
> cursor is automatically placed at the end of the original text( as
> oppose to being in the top left position where one would normally type
> your message )  Does anyone know if this can be chaged in prefs, etc. Or
> will I have to change the code?

This is also a philosophical question about email etiquette.  MS Outlook
likes to put replies to messages above the original text, but personally I
find this annoying.  You'll notice that I am putting my reply below your
original text.  :)

This way, the recipient of my reply or someone browing mailing list
archives can read from top to bottom and get the whole thread.  With
reply text placed above the original text, one has to scroll to the bottom
of the message and read it backwards from the bottom up to read the entire
thread.  I've also noticed that people rarely trim the original message
text when the reply goes at the top.  So on a message with a large number
of replies, you end up with message with a lot of cruft that should have
been deleted.

Also, if I want to reply to individual parts of your message (for example,
if you asked several separate questions), I can reply in-line after each
part.

	Andy