[imp] MAPI calls for mailto: links

Thomas Gereke list at thomasgereke.de
Mon Jul 5 08:34:23 PDT 2004

Hello,

the hint on scripts/Imp.reg didn't work for me (first) -> see the other
thread.
So I tested a bit and find the following:

In Firefox (and IE too) when clicking on an email address they use
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\*\Protocols\mailto\shell\open\command
to open the mail program.

The send option in explorer (send to->email) uses the simple MAPI.

So I programmed a little DLL which ignores all simple MAPI calls except for
sending mails. See http:/www.thomasgereke.de/ImpMAPI.zip for source, dll and
registry files. The DLL is written in C and compiled with MinGW. The DLL must
be copied to the System32 directory or the path in the reg file to it must be
added.

Now the click on an email works. And send to->email opens the compose
window. I
was wondering that when I'm not login there is a special login window which
shows the email data and gives it then to the new compose screen. Fine!

What did not work jet is to add an attachment. When using send to->email the
filename is appended as '&upload_1=drive:/path/filename' but it seems this is
ignored. Would be nice if it is possible to add attachments. Or is there
another way?

Thomas