[imp] japanese characters in IMP

Sean D. mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Tue Jul 13 14:34:18 PDT 2004

Hi all,
I noticed that in the stable versions of IMP many japanese characters do not get
displayed correctly.  Even when you click the "This message was written in a
character set other than your own" link to display the message in its own window
and the browser detects and displays the message in iso-2022-jp many characters
(not all) are displayed as "mojibake" (strange ascii looking weirdness).  This
occurs whether I am logged in with the language set to English or Japanese setting.

I went to my Alpha test install and IMP displays them all perfectly whether I am
logged in with language set to Japanese or English.  Looks great. I noticed that
my browser detects all the Alpha pages as UTF-8 and am sure you must have
switched to all unicode format for the alpha version which explains why it
handles Japanese so well.  However, I am wary of implementing Alpha code on my
production server.  Is there some way i can fix the japanese support for the
current stable versions of IMP/Horde?

I have php 4.3.2 on Apache 2.0.46 (RHEL3) and PHP has mbstring support compiled in.

TIA,
Sean