[imp] IMP CVS/Alpha with Dovecot

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 15 10:57:28 PDT 2004

Quoting Nick Maynard <nick.maynard at alumni.doc.ic.ac.uk>:

> As per bug 152: http://bugs.horde.org/details.php?id=152
>> When browsing a mailbox using the CVS/Alpha drops, all messages are shown as
>> unread, whether read or not.

I'm seeing similar, but different results.  My messages show properly as
read/seen in *most* cases, but the pop-up that says how many new messages
("recent" actually I think, in IMAP terms) always returns the total number
of messages for the number of new/recent messages.

So right now I have a total of 2008 message in my inbox, and when it gives
me to pop-up it says I have 2008 new messages (when in reality I've only
got at most a couple hundred new messages at any time).

>> Not sure if this is a problem with dovecot or IMP, but current stable
>> release of IMP (3.2.3) interprets the seen/unseen status correctly, so I
>> would be inclined to believe it's a bug introduced with the new code.

It has something to do with dovecot, When I switch between wu-imapd and
dovecot, the problem goes away (with wu-imapd) and comes back (with dovecot).
So the problem may be tickled by IMP, but it is in dovecot...

> http://bugs.horde.org/details.php?id=152
>
> Has anyone here managed to get Dovecot working with IMP CVS/Alpha
> such that the
> seen flags are correctly set?

What version of dovecot?  And with mbox or maildir as your message store?

I used to run dovecot release/stable 0.99.10/4/5/6, but they had lots
of crashing problems, etc. I'm now running -test27 or -test28 or
something like that.  Not many problems with it crashing or anything
now, but I do get the wrong number for new messages in the pop-ups.

While on occassion it has not cleared the newmail flag (marked it as seen),
in most cases my install does set the flags properly.  But it seems to fail
on getting the new/recent counts, for some reason.

>  Any input at all would be much appreciated.

Dovecot has lots of promise, but it is not yet stable.  If you're seeing
problems with it, avoid it.  The 1.0 release will hopefully be stable
and work properly.  Until then, well, live with the bugs.

I'd love to get a version of dovecot working, as it (version 1.0-test*)
is incredibly fast on mbox files.  But, alas, it is still in development,
so we have to wait for it to mature.

Incidently, I'm one test version behind current, so maybe it is fixed now,
maybe not.  (I doubt it, but you never know).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!