[imp] question

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Jul 26 14:51:22 PDT 2004

Zitat von Noah Couture <noahcouture at gmail.com>:

> So, lets say I wanted to basically develop a very different front end
> like i've described.  I wonder how difficult it would be with IMP?

Very. At the moment I'd advise you not to try to replace the current UI with
a completely different one. There are some vague ideas how to even more
seperate logic from view in Horde 4, but that's still far away. This
doesn't mean that what you describe can't be integrated in Horde or IMP.
But replacing the current interface is not a good idea IMO.

> I've done some testing using scott andrews xml-rpc thingy
> (http://www.scottandrew.com/xml-rpc/) and some simple IMAP calls to
> basically get a list of folders and the contents of a particular
> folder.   I used xml-rpc and then merged the xml with xsl documents in
> the client.  The tricky part was trying to understand xsl.  I'm
> actually not sure that that scheme is the way to go, but I got it to
> work for some things.  Google actually just passes raw javascript
> arrays to avoid the overhead of xml.  I found that using gzip does
> away with the overhead of the xml format rather nicely, I suppose at
> some cpu cost.  Anyways, i'm meandering, I could share the code i've
> got so far if anyone is actually interested in this approach.  Barring
> that, i'd really appreciate some feedback in terms of how much work it
> might be to develop a different front end.  I  would really hope to
> figure out a way to be able to drop in this front end over IMP so that
> I would be able to continue to upgrade my HORDE/IMP installation and
> benefit from any new features or fixes with minimal impact to my
> stuff.

We have an browser-server RPC mechanism already in one place in IMP, where
we expand the recipient addresses in the background.

I have the following vision of client-server-RPC in Horde: XMLRPC seems far
too much overhead for a javascript library. I'd built such an RPC system on
a driver model. If the browser supports it, it will use XmlHttp requests, on
e driver for Mozilla's implementation, one for Microsoft's. A third driver
will emulate RPC calls with hidden iframes in the "traditional" way. All
drivers implement the same interface and have their counterparts on the
server side, allowing the programmer to send any remote calls to the server
while the RPC system uses the correct driver automatically.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting.php