[imp] imp3 pear sendmail full name problem

Herbert Meier hmeier at devel.brg19.at
Sat Aug 7 22:14:17 PDT 2004

The description below regards to the imp3 package from
Debian Linux. It's version number is 3.2.2-3.1

There is a problem I can't tell exactly where to put.
I don't know if it is an IMP, a PEAR or a sendmail bug.

Let me describe it a little bit:

I am using IMP without preferences and without permitting
the users to change their own full name. So IMP only uses
the e-mail addresses for sending mail. The full name should
be added by sendmail but this does not work because of the
following behavior.

When IMP does an SMTP session it looks like this:

----
EHLO localhost
MAIL FROM:<hello at heaven.org>
RCPT TO:<nothing at nothing.org>
DATA
From: hello at heaven.org
Subject: Hi guys

hello...
.
----

Sendmail should add the full name. But sendmail only does this if
the MAIL FROM: and the From: line in the data section look like
these:

----
MAIL FROM:<hello at heaven.org>
From: <hello at heaven.org>
----

or these

----
MAIL FROM:hello at heaven.org
From: hello at heaven.org
----

That means that if the addresses are of the same type
sendmail translates the From: line to a From: line with
full name.

But in the sample SMTP session above you can see that brackets
are used in the first given e-mail address but not in the second
one contained in the data section. Therefore sendmail does not
translate the From: line and the full name is missing.

What I found out is that the PEAR package adds the brackets
to the MAIL FROM: statement conforming to RFC821.

Perhaps the IMP package should be changed to add brackets
to the e-mail address in the DATA section even if there
is no full name.