[imp] Newbie, using SQL authentication

Paul Taylor ptaylor at quadlogic.fr
Thu Aug 26 09:09:30 PDT 2004

Sorry for any duplication, I posted my first message about 12
hours ago and it has not appeared in the archive, I am therefore
trying again.

Dear All,

Newbie in the process of evaluating Imp.

I am sure that I am able to achieve what I want, but am confused
on the correct  way to go about it.

I currently have a new linux machine with the latest versions of
MySQL, PHP,  Horde and Imp. I installed the recommended UW
IMAP also. I have setup Horde  to use the Imp login and can login
and use Imp correctly with a user setup in the  local /etc/passwd
file.

Now, what I would like to achieve is a setup where the individual
user accounts,  password and so on are held in a MySQL table.
This is because we will develop  other programs which will use
this information also. As the authentication is  being handled by
IMAP, I presume that the IMAP server would need the ability  to
check an SQL table for the login and password; however I can not
find this  functionality to be available in UW IMAP.

I then decided to check out Cyrus IMAP which claims this
functionality; however  the documentation for Horde / Imp says
that UW IMAP is needed. It appears that  PHP can use Cyrus
IMAP but the UW IMAP can not be used at the same time ! I
have also seen in the Imp configuration files that Cyrus IMAP is a
possibility
.   Should I replace UW with Cyrus IMAP ? Is it
really IMAP authentication which I  need ? I am very confused.

Could someone please explain the basic structure of what I need
to get this  running ?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers,
Paul