[imp] Login in IMP without the @domain.com part

Edwin Culp eculp at encontacto.net
Thu Sep 16 11:08:05 PDT 2004

Quoting Mário Gamito <gamito at netual.pt>:

> Hi,
>
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>> $servers['imap'] = array(
>>>      'name' => 'IMAP Server',
>>>      'server' => 'mail.epaveiro.edu.pt',
>>>      'protocol' => 'imap/notls',
>>>      'port' => 143,
>>>      'folders' => '',
>>>      'namespace' => 'INBOX.',
>>>      'maildomain' => 'epaveiro.edu.pt',
>>>      'smtphost' => 'mail.epaveiro.edu.pt',
>>>      'realm' => 'epaveiro.edu.pt',
>>>      'preferred' => ''
>>> );
>>
>> Mário, IMO, the above should work, assuming that you can login to
>> courier-imap
>> with username at epaveiro.edu.pt and the password.  I would give it a
>> try on the
>> command line.  In fact, why don't you give it a try from the
>> imp/test.php page
>> using username at epaveiro.edu.pt because it doesn't use the servers.php, IIRC.
>> After filling out the form and sending the bottom of the returned
>> page should
>> have something like:
>>
>> server="mail.epaveiro.edu.pt" user="username at epaveiro.edu.pt"
>> mailbox="{mail.epaveiro.edu.pt:143/imap/notls}INBOX"
>> INBOX has 1 messages (0 new 0 recent)
>>
>> Which means it was successful.  That is what we want.
>>
>> If that doesn't work the problem would seem to be with your courier auth.
>>
>> Also check your maillog and others depending on your courier auth backend.
>>
>> After this we can look at the hook, I haven't used it or imp for auth for a
>> couple of years.  Unfortunately, I don't and have never used realm's
>> so you may
>> not be in very good hands :)  If I'm not leading Mário en the right
>> direction,
>> will someone please jump it.
>
> Well, in fact, test.php gives me this:
>
> "server="mail.epaveiro.edu.pt" user="foobar at epaveiro.edu.pt"
> mailbox="{mail.epaveiro.edu.pt:143/imap/notls}INBOX"
>
> array(1) {
>    [0]=>
>    string(49) "[CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)"
> }"
>

> And trying to login by telnet, i get:
>
> "mail:~ # telnet mail.epaveiro.edu.pt 143
> Trying 192.168.1.213...
> Connected to mail.epaveiro.edu.pt.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
> THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION
> STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2004 Double Precision, Inc.
>   See COPYING for distribution information.
> O LOGIN foobar at epaveiro.edu.pt secret
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> mail:~ #"
>
> I cannot telnet to epaveiro.edu.pt, only to mail.epaveiro.edu.pt
>
> Any ideas ?

My guess is that there is an issue with courier and not with imp or the realm.

What do your log files show when you are trying to login with test.php?

What backend are you using for courier auth?

Do you have this paveiro.edu.pt in locals or hosteddomains?

If this is a courier configuration issue, we should probably take it
off the imp
list shortly.

ed