[imp] Help with imaps not connecting

Lord Apollyon implist at paypc.com
Tue Sep 21 18:10:48 PDT 2004

> Oh, that's not good...
>
> The default imap build includes support for SSL and disables use of
> plaintext passwords, hence the message you quote above.  You could
> either add support for SASL or build with SSLTYPE=unix to allow the use
> of plaintext passwords with SSL (see docs/SSLBUILD).

One thing many people forget is that the WU-IMAP stuff always includes
support for CRAM-MD5 "look-aside" passwords as well, which use one-way
hashes for authentication consulted from a sidebar password file rather
than /etc/shadow.  The look-aside password file is /etc/cram-md5.pwd I
believe.  It's formatting is rather strict: exactly one tab must separate
the username from the password, and the file needs to have an ending
linefeed.  Both ipop3d and imapd consult it, and any c-client mail based
client understands how to present those credentials to them.  In fact, I
think it's all seamless...

On many of my mail servers, I don't use the system password at all, but
rather that look-aside password file.

=R=