[imp] Re: IMP Slow?

Alain Fauconnet alain at ait.ac.th
Wed Sep 22 20:20:34 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 10:48:57PM -0400, Mike DiChiappari wrote:
> I am using the IMAP that comes with RedHat 9 (imap-20001a-18).  It seems to
> work very well from various email clients.

That's  UW-IMAP.  I've  already explained to you why it may 'work very
well from various email clients' and be slow from IMP,  but  I'll  try
again:

Regular e-mail clients (Outlook etc.) and IMAP-based  web  mails  have
very different usage patterns of  the  IMAP  server.  Clients  keep  a
single connection open. Web mails keep opening and closing sessions.

UW-IMAP creates work  copies  of  the  opened  mailboxes.  With  large
mbox-format mailboxes, this makes an IMAP open/close session operation
very costly in disk I/O. Hence the *possible* explanation for what you
are seeing.

There  might  be  other  reasons,  like  an  IMAP  server started from
xinetd.conf  that  does  reverse  identd  checks  to  itself (when the
connection  comes from the web mail) that are blocked by your iptables
rules.

Greets,
_Alain_