[imp] Help with imaps not connecting

George Theall theall at tifaware.com
Fri Sep 24 09:30:12 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:53:34AM -0600, thewade wrote:

> > > So imp must be working.
> >
> > Huh?
>
> If imp connects but doesnt log in then that means (most likely) that the
> imapd server is having problems, I think.

No, it means only that the imap server is having problems. Fix those problems
and you might discover that IMP still isn't working.

> mtest:
> {gateway.aestheticempire.com:143/imap/notls/user=\"pdman\"}INBOX
> gives me this:
> OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN]

This suggests the imap daemon was not built with SSLTYPE=unix -- if it
were, you'd see "AUTH=PLAIN" among the advertised capabilities.

> What does NO AUTHENTICATE LOGIN mean?

The word "NO" indicates that the command failed; the rest of the line
is arbitrary but in the case of UW IMAP refers to the command itself.

> I would hope that LOGIN-REFERRALS means to look in the local passwd/shadow
> file.

No, it's a way for the daemon to point the client to an alternate imap
server; ie, see <http://www.imap.org/papers/docs/rfc2221.html>.

George
theall at tifaware.com