[imp] Newbie setup question

Stephen Rasmussen srasmussen at nacogdoches.k12.tx.us
Thu Oct 14 08:50:14 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I am at a little bit of a loss.  Our company has been using a Suse Linux
Mail Server II implementation of IMP for about 4 years and it has been
working wonderfully.  However, our email server died and now I am in the
process of building a new one.  I am getting some conflicting information
from Redhat support, however, about how I can achieve my end goal since they
don't know anything about IMP.

I have AS 2.1 installed and Sendmail is configured properly.  What I need to
know is what choices do I have and/or what is necessary for IMP to work like
it did?  I know I need to configure an LDAP server for the directory.  Do I
need IMAP at all?  Is Sendmail a good choice to use if I am going to use IMP
for webmail access?  Our old implementation used Postfix.  Am I completely
overlooking some other module I will need?  Any help/advice/guidance would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve