Default install w/ IMAP-UW won't work on FreeBSD - was [imp] (no subject)

Chris cth at fast.dnswatch.com
Wed Oct 20 20:47:44 PDT 2004

Greetings,
 The default install of IMP/ HORDE (3.1) with IMAP-UW is broken for those who
do not wish to use TLS. Why? Because the IMAP-UW port on FreeBSD 5 and 5+
*disables* plaintext logins. The *only* way to login with IMAP is with
SSL/ TLS. Checking my imp/config/servers.php, I have the following IMAP
settings:

$servers['imap'] = array(
    'name' => 'IMAP Server',
    'server' => 'localhost',
//    'protocol' => 'imap/ssl/novalidate-cert',
//    'port' => 993,
    'port' => 143,
    'folders' => 'Mail/',
    'namespace' => '',
    'maildomain' => '<my domain.name here>',
    'smtphost' => 'localhost',
//  'realm' => '<my host.domain.name here>',
    'realm' => '',
    'preferred' => ''
);

As you can see, there is only reference to the *non*ssl IMAP port. With these
settings *all* login attempts will fail with the following messages in the
web servers error log:

[error] PHP Notice:  Server disables LOGIN, no recognized SASL authenticator
(errflg=2) in Unknown on line 0

This error indicates that IMAP-UW *will not* permit plain text logins and will
only allow *secure* (SSL/TLS) logins. BUMMER, would have loved to use IMP. But
doesn't look very promising.
Any help/ ideas on how to get "plaintext" logins working?

Thanks for all your time and consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,
 Chris