[imp] Re: spamassassin and blocking lists

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Tue Nov 2 21:24:19 PST 2004

Quoting Iain Pople <ip at brunny.com>:

> Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>

>> Search the archives for a discussion of this previously.  Essentially, the
>> reason that IMP adds Received headers for the web browser->web
>> server is that
>> it is consistent with what is expected/asked for in the RFCs.
>>

> ok, but why is this different to the way a 'normal' email client like
> thunderbird inserts headers? Or is it the MTA that is inserting the
> headers? either way why is it different when it happens via IMP, and
> thus triggers spamassassin.

Because you are not thinking of the problem in the correct way.  Received
headers are added at *every* server stop along the way. Thunderbird
delivers as
follows:
Thunderbird client --> Mail server
One hop -- one header.

IMP delivers as follows:
Web browser --> Web server --> Mail server
Two hops -- two headers.  This is our behavior.

michael