[imp] possible new feature discussion: separation of user and domain portion of login email address

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Thu Nov 4 12:55:09 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm looking to migrate from sqwebmail to IMP on
my production mail server. However, in order to
avoid confusing my users I will need to auto
detect the domain portion of the user's email
address at login time (much less typing for the
user), based on the value of the HTTP_HOST
environment variable (or, as HTTP_HOST is a
CGI env var, the PHP equivalent).

In sqwebmail, this is accomplished with the
logindomainlist file which provides wildcard
rewriting rules to accommodate just about any
server admin's needs. The syntax is archaic,
but the functionality is quite useful. I
wrote the current sqwebmail logindomainlist
code, and I certainly wouldn't mind rewriting
it in PHP for use with IMP.

However, in order for a logindomainlist-like
file/functionality to work, I'll need to have
separate text fields on the login page for
the user portion of the email address and the
domain portion. So I have three questions:

1.) Am I reinventing the wheel? Is there a
    better way to do this with IMP? (No, I
    do NOT want to set up a physical IMP
    instance for each domain. I think that's
    lunacy.)

2.) If I'm not reinventing the wheel, have the
    user and domain portions of the login email
    address already been separated in the
    4.0-BETA code? I'm just curious...

3.) Will it be difficult to separate the user
    and domain portions of the login email
    address into distinct text fields? If so,
    why? If not, what needs to be done?

If I can get this info answered then I think
I can proceed...

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator