[imp] runnaway processes

Uffe Pensar upensar at wasa.shh.fi
Tue Nov 23 09:39:10 PST 2004

Hi,

We are running  horde 2.2.7/imp-3.2.6 on a Debian woody server with the
latest stable releases of php, up-imapproxy, uw-imapd-ssl, mysql,
sendmail, clam and apache-ssl . With about little over 100 concurrent
users we have a load of 3-10. About 60 % or more use the webinterface.
The problem is that sometimes the server load rises rapidly and and we
can't see anything strange in the logs (it stops logging). In the end we
have to reboot the hard way.
A couple of time I have seen inetd generating root owned imapd processes
(one or two /second) and it wan't stop until inetd is killed. After a
reboot  its up and working again.

Anybody else seen this or now a cure ?

- uffe