[imp] number of imap connections

Karolis Dautartas list at public.lt
Thu Nov 25 00:21:49 PST 2004

Hi,

sorry if this has been discussed in the past - I did not find a lot of
info on google.

I installed IMP on our mailserver and watched IMAP log for a while.
It appears that for each IMP page that is loaded, there is one or more
login to an IMAP server.

Example:
Page - login number:
View INBOX - 2 IMAP logins
Compose message - 1 IMAP login
View folders - 4 IMAP logins
etc...

So it appears that IMP does at least 1 connection to IMAP in order to
check user and password. Plus another connection for each mail
operation, like get folders list, get quotas, get message etc

First of all, isn't it enough to verify user / pass once, and keep
that data in the session? And have single IMAP connection for all
operations?

I was wondering if that can be achieved. And are there any other ways
to reduce the number of IMAP connections? Because it looks kind of
scary. For each page, you connecto to IMAP multiple times. Then in
case you have LDAP auth, you also connecto to LDAP multiple times. And
in case you have your mail on NFS, you connect to NFS multiple times.
And a user usually loads more than 1 page per session. And usually
there is more than 1 user.... :)

Can you please let me know if there are ways around it.

thanks,
Karolis