[imp] IMP RC-2 Performance Test Results :(

Lee lee at disinfo.com
Sat Nov 27 11:11:38 PST 2004

After installing, configuring and running RC-2, it seemed like RC-2 was
significantly slower than the IMP3.X installation we use. To trace this
down, i did some performance testing on the system. What i found was
that viewing folders of messages (mailbox.php) in RC-2 took an average
of 2.2x as long as in IMP3.x! Viewing an individual message took 1.9x
as long! The rest of HORDE,IMP,TURBA doesn't seem to be effected though
(average page loads for everything but mailbox.php/message.php were
roughly equivalent).

2x the load time (averaging 4-8 seconds) per mailbox listing and (3-5)
seconds per message listing is clearly a significant problem. Can other
people confirm my results (even informally)?

Any ideas why IMAP performance would be so much worse in 4.0?

Sincerely,
Lee

P.S.  To isolate all factors, i performed the tests by comparing
IMP3.X, IMP4.0RC2 running on the same machine, with the same
preferences backend (i also tried no prefs system on both, and php
sessions). I then ran a bunch of queries on both for specific imap
folders and mesages using various sorting orders and
page/folder/message selection.