[imp] changing user name

Andy Rowan rowan at crssa.rutgers.edu
Mon Dec 6 13:47:04 PST 2004

We have a user who got married and changed her last name.  I can easily
change her user name on the unix system by editing the password file and
renaming her home directory and mail spool file.  But if I do that, when
she logs in to imp she doesn't get any of her stored preferences or turba
address book.

What we've done for the moment is leave her login name as it was, and she
just changed her "personal information" in imp so that her new name and the
address built from it show up on her outgoing mail.  Then there's a
sendmail alias that points from the new e-mail address that's built from
her married name to her same old unix user name.  So the only person that
has to deal with her old name is ... her.

Is there a way to change it for real, so that she logs in using her new
name and everything is based off of that?  I guess what I'm asking is, can
I get into the mysql database and either change her username there as well
as in the passwd file?  Or can I copy the preferences from her old name to
her new name?  I don't mind getting into the mysql database, except I don't
speak the language, so I'd need specific help there.

We're running imp 3.1-2, horde 2.1-3, mysql 3.23, sendmail, UW imapd, on
redhat.

Thanks,
Andy