[imp] IMP4.0rc3 - CID/MIME Multipart Messages

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Tue Dec 7 13:16:05 PST 2004

Quoting Brandon Knitter <knitterb at blandsite.org>:

> Got it all working, thanks for the help!!
>
> All of those RFC's don't make it clear that you have to imbed one mime
> multipart
> inside another.
>
> The interesting thing is that I want to have the inner MIME message
> there, with
> images, as well as the base message containing a PDF attachment as well
> (report
> suitable for forwarding).  Outlook requires the attachment to be part of the
> inner multipart/related, and IMP requires it to be in the outer
> multipart/alternative.

I'm not quite sure what you are going for here.  If I follow you, you want a
message with 2 parts - the text/html/image part and a PDF file.  The best way
of doing this, and the way that I think IMP does, would be as follows:

multipart/mixed
   multipart/alternative
     text/plain
     multipart/related
       text/html
       image/jpeg
   application/pdf

Putting the application/pdf in the multipart/related doesn't get you anything.
I think, if at all possible, you avoid putting anything more into a
multipart/related than what you absolutely need (i.e. the base part and
anything linked to in that base part).  it probably isn't technically against
the RFCs, but makes less practical sense.

michael