[imp] can't send a particular combination of body text and attachment

Andy Rowan rowan at crssa.rutgers.edu
Thu Dec 16 07:50:47 PST 2004

This is strange.  Over the last six months or so, we've had two different
users come up against this problem just a couple of times.  They go to
compose a message, add an attachment, and then when they push the send
button, it doesn't send ... instead the signature gets inserted again into
the top of the message, but the compose window stays open and the message
does not get sent.  Push the send button again, you get another sig.  Ad
infinitum.

Use a different message body, same attachment, and it works fine.  Use the
same message body with no attachment, or a different one, and it works
fine.  It's the particular combination of the text and the attachment that
seems to trigger it.  One time I think the attachment was a PDF, the more
recent time it was a word doc.  I've looked at the message body of that
recent one, and there's nothing extraordinary I can see in it.  I mean, it
has an ampersand here and there, but nothing I can recognize that would
explain this (but I may be in Flatland and not know what to look
for).  Then today the same user had trouble forwarding a message that was
multipart/alternative with a text version and an html version.

I wiped out the user's horde preferences out of the database and had her
try again ... ho help.  With no signature defined, the problem still
happens.  (You just don't see an extra sig getting inserted,
obviously.)  If she tries it from a different PC, it still happens.

Platform info:
redhat linux 7.2
php-4.1.2-7.2.6
horde-2.1-3
imp-3.1-2

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of updating to a newer version, but trying to hold off until I
get the time to do the major reinstall I need to do to get my OS up to a
supported version.

-Andy