[imp] Re: Viewing any message always shows the same one.

Jason Bassford jasonb at dante.com
Sat Jan 1 11:52:42 PST 2005

I've done some more troubleshooting and have come up with some better
information.

It's not always the same message body that I see. Rather, it's always
the message body of the first messsage with the same message #x that I
viewed within the sesssion.  Since I normally delete a message after
I've read it, it seemed as if this was the case (since I'm usually
always viewing message #1).

For instance, if at the start of a session I only have a single message
in my Inbox, and I view it, that's what I see.  If I delete it and then
get another one (which is now, itself, message #1) I see the previous
message body instead.

If I *don't* delete this one, but receive a new one (which is now
message #2) I'll view it properly.  If I delete message #2 and receive
another new one (now message #2) I see the previous message #2's body
instead.)

So - to make sure that I always see every message properly, I can't
delete any of them.  This makes sure that every message has a unique,
constantly incrementing, message number.

So - what is it here that's caching the message body of each message
number?  I do note that if I do a grep for something in the body of the
message it will show up in one of my /tmp/sess_ PHP files.  So - it
*appears* as if it's PHP that's caching this information.  Why?  And how
can I prevent it?  Deleting the PHP session file that's storing this
information results in my logging myself out because it's also storing
my login credentials...

Jason.

Jason Bassford         jasonb at dante.com
Inferno Enterprises    http://www.dante.com/users/jasonb/

* Why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?