[imp] Performace problems with new IMP

Sean D. mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Tue Jan 4 23:57:22 PST 2005

I just counted <20 secs from clicking Login to fully loaded inbox display. Thats
using https on an inbox with 800+ messages. I also have many of the features
turned on that are considered performance hits. Like displaying attachment icons
and Mail Previews and everything else i thought looked cool regardless of
performance hit.  However I sort my mail by the faster Arrival Time setting and
use Imapproxy. Subsequent re-visits to the inbox only take 4-5 secs. to load it
up though.  I'm happy with performance so far but noticed that with my larger
inbox accounts that one thing you definitely need to watch for is that  if you
use Mail Filters or Ingo that you have it set to only filter New Messages.
Having it filter all messages takes a good 40-60 secs.

Using Courier Imap (localhost), PHP 4.3.9, RHEL3 on a P4 2.8 w/ HT and 1GB ram.
  Load is low (at least at this hour of the night).

No question the old IMP was much snappier in response but all the new features
in 4.0 come with a slight performance price tag, to me i think they are worth it.

Maybe the old version can be renamed to IMP-Lite and stripped down and optimized
for high performance?

Sean