[imp] IMP 4.0 slower than 3.0

Steve Lidie sol0 at Lehigh.EDU
Tue Jan 11 09:47:58 PST 2005

On Jan 10, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Lidie Steve wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Stephen March wrote:
>
>> I seem to recall Jan mentioning that there was an option for the IMP
>> configuration that disabled the history logging of messages and
>> offered some boost in performance.
>>
>> I can't seem to find that exact message, maybe somebody else can?
>
> Backed-out IMP4/Horde3 - IMP3/Horde2 back and running super-fast. The
> I4/H3 problem can be summarized thusly:  all Apache processes
> using/sharing 55 MB of memory and consuming all available CPU, LAV
> 10-40.  Four of us spent all day trying everything/anything to
> alleviate the problem.  Other observations of note: netstat -a shows
> "tons" of TCP/IP connections, mysqld showed "tons" of transactions -
> the only obvious difference I noticed after the fact is the old IMP
> machine has 8 mysqld instances, new had only one.

If/when someone else makes I4/H3 production, please feel free to
contact me off-list before/during/after to discuss performance issues.
As it is, I dare not try again until I have more data, yet cannot
collect data w/o trying a production mode run again, which I
won't/can't because the semester is starting.