[imp] IMP / Apache2 / SSL / not working

Darren Martz darren at shelbrook.com
Tue Jan 11 10:12:11 PST 2005

I am experiencing an strangely high level of instability with Horde since
general release, or maybe it¹s Apache2 SSL... I am not sure.

Problems:
* NAG never displayed any tasklists when I used a self-managed SSL
certificate, then it worked when I installed a real cert
* NAG stopped working with Horde 3.0.2
* IMP 4.0.1 worked 80% of the time opening messages
* IMP stopped working with Horde 3.0.2 by never opening a single email
message
* TURBA now not display the browse page since Horde 3.0.2
* Behavior is constant between IE (WinXP), Safari, and Camino (Mac).
* IE will report a DNS error trying to access the page, while Mac browsers
do nothing
* Weather service will not work despite the fact I have all the documented
pear packages installed (beta ones too)

Here is an outline of my configuration:
* gentoo-2.6.9-r9
* apache-2.0.52-r1
* openssl-0.9.7d-r2
* php-4.3.10
* SSL certificate by instantssl (comodogroup)

As for horde, I checked out each module from CVS based on the latest tag of
each module:
* framework ­ HORDE_3_0_2 (yes I did run the install script)
* horde ­ HORDE_3_0_2
* imp ­ IMP_4_0_1
* nag ­ NAG_2_0
* turba ­ TURBA_2_0
* mnemo - MNEMO_2_0
* { and other packages }

Authentication model is:
* IMP authentication
* IMP connected to courier-imap over SSL to localhost

Courier-imap is working fine with many clients connected daily and no
reports of problems.

Other Setup notes:
* changed session data to file base from mysql, resulted in no effect on
this problem
* changed token data to mysql from being disabled, resulted in no effect on
this problem (what do tokens mean in horde anyway?)

The basics of my apache2 SSL configuration:

<VirtualHost 10.1.1.215:443>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs-ssl
    ServerName www.domain.tld
    <Directory /mail>
            Order allow,deny
            Allow from all
            SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth +ExportCertData +CompatEnvVars
+StrictRequire
            SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
            SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
    </Directory>
    SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/server.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/server.key
    SSLCACertificateFile conf/ssl/ca_new.txt
</VirtualHost>

Horde is configured to always expect an SSL connection.

Other PHP applications under the same SSL cert and setup are working
perfectly???