[imp] general question on postfix, cyrus, imp on multiple domains

Arshavir Grigorian ag at m-cam.com
Mon Jan 17 12:15:27 PST 2005

Mark Fink wrote:

>Hello forum,
>
>I am new to IMP (thats not the problem I hope..) and need some advice on how to start. I have multiple domains hosted at an ISP and I have web.de for the webmail. Now I run a rootserver and want to host the domains by myselve. I have to deal with the mails in this case and I want to have web access. And by the way I did browse the faq, unfortunately I did not find how to deal with the following scenario.
>
>Here the scenario:
>everything at domainA.com => user mark
>everything at domainB.com => user petsy
>everything at domainC.com => user bert
>mark at domainD.com => user mark
>petsy at domainD.com => user petsy
>... and so on and so forth
>
>The users mark, petsy and bert should have accounts on IMP on the rootserver. Is it possible to collect the mails from several domains into one account?

You might want to check out fetchmail.

>In case a user writes a new mail or replies to a mail he can select the valid sender address for this mail from a list (no seperate accounts). Is this possible? How do I achieve this?
>
>I would like to have access for thunderbird with the same features too if it is possible. Nothing difficult, just simple mail :-)) Yust kidding... Of cause I have to say good bye to some of the features. Most important is the web access.
>
>I plan to use the following tools for the installation:
>+ IMP, Horde, Ingo, Turba
>+ postfix
>+ Cyrus
>+ SpamAssassin
>Is this a good/ usefull selection? Please respond?

If you plan on filtering all the incoming mail in the mail server (which
is the only way when you have several incoming mail servers that filter
the mail then forward it to an internal server, for example), you will
need a mail scanner which in addition to spam filtering can also use a
virus scanner to scan your mail (e.g. ClamAV). I use AMaViS and it works
great with Postfix.

Also, FYI, one advantage with Cyrus is that your email users do not have
to have shell accounts on the mail server. Cyrus uses SASL to
authenticate against a whole bunch of different backends, including
LDAP. Hope that's useful.

Arshavir