[imp] does IMP have to login into IMAP for every page?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Jan 30 04:39:43 PST 2005

Zitat von Karolis Dautartas <list at public.lt>:

>>> hi IMP users,
>>>
>>> I noticed that IMP3 does a login to IMAP server every time you click
>>> on some webmail page. I was wondering why it does it that way. Why not
>>> store the required info in the session instead of logging in so many
>>> times?
>>>
>>> It is pretty inconvenient too. If I change password from my webmail,
>>> I am being logged out and have to re-login again.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?
>
> JS> Yes, the fact that HTTP is a stateless protocol and that PHP has a
> JS> share-nothing architecture.
>
> Isn't that what sessions are for? :) You can just log in once, and
> then create a session (which is done anyway). The session would be a
> guarantee that the user the user is authenticated. No?

No. You can store that a user has already authenticated, but you still need
to make a new connection to the IMAP server with each request. As the other
answer explains, this overhead could be lowered using a proxy, but even then
you still need to authenticate to the proxy with each request. That proxy
authentication is just not as expensive as the IMAP server authentication.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/