[imp] using a user pref to set a value in conf.php

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Tue Feb 1 11:07:59 PST 2005

>> Our antispam solution has two classes of users.  People who can
>> "train" their spam filters,  and people who have a "generic" set of
>> filters.  I've created a horde pref "spam_trainer", and I'd like to
>> be able to determine the behavior of the spam reporting links based
>> on whether this preference is set or not.
>>
>> So.... I guess the question is, how to get access to the preferences scope
>> inside of config/conf.php?
>
> That's not possible, because the configuration is loaded before the
> preferences.

Well, poop.

Here's the situation then.  We're using DSPAM as our spam management solution.
We've got two classes of users - "trainers" and "globalusers".

Currently, our trainers are able to refine their personal spam filters by
forwarding / bouncing mail to spam.username at example.com or
notspam.username at example.com.  So, I've set things up to use the spam_bounce
hook, and that works great.

More recently, it was decided that the people using the "generic" filters (aka
"globaluser") should be presented with the spam management links as well.  In
their case, the "report as spam" and "report as innocent" buttons
should invoke
a binary instead of bouncing the email.  Having the spam management links save
"pristine" copies of the email someplace on the webmail servers, and
we'll push
it out at some regular interval and use this mail to further refine the
generic
spam definitions.

I had hoped to decide the appropriate behavior based on my "spam_trainer"
preference, but I'm not sure how to proceed if I can't access the prefs scope
from the conf file.

Any suggestions?

Liam