[imp] [patch] Configurable Received: header behavior

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed Feb 9 08:11:38 PST 2005

Brian Keifer wrote:
> Hi, All.
>
> I've been seeing some people mentioning that they have issues with spam filters
> seeing their dial-up or otherwise dynamic IP in the Received headers and
> thinking the messages are originating from a mail server in dynamic space.
> I've been bitten by this as well recently, so I wanted to do something about
> it, if only for my own server.

Hmm, such an MTA (or spam filter) would block hell lot of legitimate
mail.  Basically, it would block each and every mail originating from
dynamic-IP user, because every MTA at every ISP I know about would add
Received header containing user's dynamic IP address.

My guess is that those sites are blocking emails that have Received
headers containing "with HTTP", and do not particularry care about the
IP address itself.  IMO, more usefull option would be to fake protocol
in the Received header ("with SMTP", instead of "with HTTP").

Since "from host" and "with atom" parts of Received header are optional
("by host", "id string", and "; date" are the only mandatory components
of Received header as per RFC822), another option would be ommiting
"with HTTP" (or optionally "from host"), instead of faking it.

Of course, this shouldn't be default behaviour (and should be marked as
highly not-recommended), but maybe something administrator might turn
on/off in case of crisis.