[imp] Re: Spellcheck and SELinux...

Tom Lisjac netdxr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 11:06:05 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:21:34 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic
<amilivojevic at pbl.ca> wrote:
> Tom Lisjac wrote:

> > I've just installed Imp on a Fedora Core 3 system. Everything is
> > working great except for a small problem with spell checking and
> > SELinux.

> Many programs allow you to specify alternate temporary directory in
> TMPDIR environment variable.  Actually, this is libc thingie.  So if
> aspell is using standard C library API to create temporary files, doing
> something like "TMPDIR=/var/www/tmp; export TMPDIR" prior to starting
> apache (or make wrapper around aspell if you want this only for aspell)
> should work.  Of course, you'll might need to create policy rules to
> allow scripts to write into /var/www/tmp.

That was my conclusion as well.

I fixed the problem with the aspell call by adding the following rules:

allow httpd_sys_script_t httpd_tmp_t:file read;
allow httpd_sys_script_t httpd_tmp_t:file getattr;

Per Karsten Wade's excellent writeup on making policy changes with a local.te:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/selinux-guide/selg-section-0120.html

Thanks for the reply!

-Tom