[imp] Re: Extremely weird IMAP behaviour - IMP or c-client problem?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 21 07:20:04 PST 2005

--On Sunday, March 20, 2005 21:46 -0500 Eli <eli-list at experthost.com> wrote:

> 0 LIST "" INBOX/%
> * LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
> 0 OK LIST completed.

The command above makes sense if the previous exchange was something
like this:

a LIST "" %
* LIST "/" INBOX
a OK LIST completed

This response does not say "\NoInferiors", so INBOX can contain other
mailboxes, and it does say "/", so the delimiter is a "/" sign.  If so,
it is reasonable to ask LIST "" INBOX/% to see what's under INBOX.

The response though does not make sense.  If the delimiter is "/" one time
then it should not be NIL the next time.  The rest of it appears to say
that there is a mailbox named INBOX that does not contain other mailboxes,
under the first mailbox named INBOX.

Even though this is bizarre, I still don't see why IMP loops.  I would
expect IMP to show you that you have mailboxes INBOX and INBOX/INBOX and
stop there.

So anyway what really does LIST "" % return?

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York