[imp] Re: Times get displayed in GMT regardless of user locale setting

Alan W. Rateliff, II lists at rateliff.net
Tue Mar 22 00:56:34 PST 2005

Valid to the OS.  This is the setting that the Solaris installer has created
on all of my Solaris boxes back several years, including a recent Solaris 9
installation.

> cat /etc/default/init
# @(#)init.dfl 1.5 99/05/26
#
# This file is /etc/default/init.  /etc/TIMEZONE is a symlink to this file.
# This file looks like a shell script, but it is not.  To maintain
# compatibility with old versions of /etc/TIMEZONE, some shell constructs
# (i.e., export commands) are allowed in this file, but are ignored.
#
# Lines of this file should be of the form VAR=value, where VAR is one of
# TZ, LANG, CMASK, or any of the LC_* environment variables.
#
TZ=US/Eastern
CMASK=022
LC_COLLATE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_MONETARY=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_TIME=en_US.ISO8859-1

> ls -l /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
-rw-r--r--   2 root     bin         1250 Jan  8  2000
/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/US/Eastern

Now, according to a listing of /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo, the system should
support a construct such as EST5EDT, though I'm not sure how the system
handles it in the event of Daylight Savings, especially since this variable
is set at boot-up.  When I get up in the morning I'll go grab another book.

--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :       RATELIFF.NET
 Independent Technology Consultant :    alan2 at rateliff.net
      (Office) 850/350-0260        :  (Mobile) 850/559-0100