[imp] Re: S/MIME importing private keys

Reuben Farrelly reuben-imp at reub.net
Thu Mar 31 16:43:53 PST 2005

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

--------------ms090801090008020205010400

Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> Quoting Reuben Farrelly <reuben-imp at reub.net>:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I've spent the best part of the evening trying to figure out how to
>>import my personal digital certificate into my profile in Imp, but
>>had no joy.  I am using -CVS, and I am all synced and up to date with
>>the repository.
>>
>>I've ticked the box for S/MIME support, and certainly mails that come
>>in are being checked and marked as signed, and have read the help
>>files all around the S/MIME area.  I can also add certificates to the
>>address book for users (there is a link for "Import public key" in
>>the S/MIME options).  However there is no option at all to add my own
>>private certificates.  I was expecting this to be near "Your S/MIME
>>Public/Private Certificates" - and logically thought it would be a
>>separate option to the public certificates.
>

> You are trying to import a PKCS #12 certificate file, right?  That's
> what the help entry located in the import window says you have to do.
> Both the public and private keys live inside this file so there is no
> reason you should be uploading more than 1 file.
>
> michael

Yes.  The file is a single .p12 file, backed up from Thunderbird, where
my certificate was successfully exported (quote: "succesfully backed up
your certificate and private key").  The cert works fine in TB, and I
can re-import it into TB without a problem.  No problem also exporting
with the standard Win XP store.  However when I try to import it via
IMP, I get a message back in the Import window "Not a valid public key".

The only other thing I was thinking of is whether it relates to my
ca-bundle.crt.  I'm pretty sure I've added cacert.org root (free CA) to
the CA list correctly and I do have the right path for it specified in
my IMP config...is a problem with this likely to give me the 'Not a
valid public key' message too?

reuben

--------------ms090801090008020205010400

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...