[imp] Re: Interesting Mail Problem

Eli eli-list at experthost.com
Fri Apr 1 20:56:32 PST 2005

Curt wrote:
> Currently, I've upgraded IMP to version 4, I was running 3.  A user
> (sadly) has 6100 messages in their mail file on our server.
> If I go into his account in IMP 4, I can't see the messages.
> IMP tells me they're there, but they're not appearing.  None
> are marked for deletion, none are shown as hidden.  If I go
> into his account on IMP 3, however, the mail messages all
> appear.  I'm looking for anything that might tell me why this
> is happening.

I experienced this as well, though it didn't come from sheer number of
emails.  It was the UID for the messages that the IMAP server was giving out
- I assume it overflowed the integer (or whatever is used) container with a
number too large thus the messages were effectively invisible to IMP when
listing the inbox, however the message counts were accurate.

Luckily with my particular IMAP server the UID is based on the # of the
message (as per its filename), so I simply needed to rename the messages and
lower the "UID value" that was in the filename making the IMAP server issue
normal range UIDs and the messages appeared fine after that.

Eli.