[imp] Re: RFC: is this a secure wvHtml image temp file workaround?

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Sat Apr 2 10:05:32 PST 2005

> Nothing. Only that this is no portable solution and requires some
> additional configuration outside of Horde.
>
> Jan.

I'd agree that its not portable in the sense that the solution itself probably
can't be contained within Horde and requires changes to the config of whatever
web server you use.  Same could be said for whatever SQL database and LDAP
directory servers you use - schema files are different from one vendor to
another (i.e. OpenLDAP vs. Netscape/iPlanet/and-I-guess-now-RedHat Directory
Server - you can't load the supplied turba OpenLdap schema for calendar info
into Netscape Directory Server).

Similar functionality could be gained for IIS using the ISAPI_Rewrite module
(http://www.isapirewrite.com).  I've never used it and have no
affiliation with
the company - just came across it searching for similar functionality to
mod_write in Apache.  There's a light version, that's free (as in beer, not
speech) and the syntax is the same as for Apache mod_rewrite.

So you have a solution on Apache, emulated by a similar module and solution on
IIS, which touches 90% of the installed web server market.  If you want to see
images in Word Documents with IMP, here's one possible solution to do it.  And
maybe the there are no Horde installations on Sun or Zeus webservers, so that
number might be higher than 90%.

I guess my point would be that every environment is different and to get some
things to work, you have to do some extra configuration in every
environment. I'm going to have to install a new version of aspell, for
example, because the
one that ships with Red Hat EL 3 (version 0.33) causes the spell check
functionality of IMP's message composition screen to hang, if HTML composition
is turned on.  Hopefully the PHP aspell functions with work with the old
libraries, while executing the newer binary.  We'll see.  Going to take some
extra configuration, but if I need to spell check HTML documents just like I'd
like to see images in Word document previews, it can be made to work.

If there is interest in having this formally documented, I can genericize (is
that a word?) for Apache, and pull a copy of the lite ISAPI_rewrite
module down
to a PC and figure out how to emulate the same functionality there.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator