[imp] "My Folders" - matching IMAP acl folders to Horde Permissions

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Sat Apr 2 11:12:03 PST 2005

For sites that are using more than just IMP in a Horde install, there's a
consistency in the way that configuration for most shared items is setup.

For example, with Nag - My Tasklists, with Kronolith - My Calendars, with Mnemo
- My Notepads.  Open up a shared item on any of them, you get the same standard
Horde Permissions window.  If you know how to assign access in one module, you
know how to assign it in all.  The icon is always at the top in the middle, and
the resources you have access to are in the right hand side in a drop down
menu.

For mail, to share folders, you've got to dig into the Mail::Options::General
Application menu.  The Folders icon gets you to the folders you have access to
but doesn't let you share them.  And when you do get into the Share Folders
screen, the interface is unlike any of the other shared items.  Now of course,
one key difference is that with Kronolith, Nag, and Mnemo (and does Turba allow
one to share personal addressbooks?  Twould be a nice feature :), you're
dealing with Horde generated and stored objects.  With IMP, you're dealing with
folders generated by a mail server, which is a whole seperate entity.

But would it be feasible to throw a shim into the whole Folders ACL display and
essentially layover that, the Horde Permissions window that you get for sharing
other resources?  Map Show, Read, Edit, Delete to as close as functionally
equivalent IMAP ACL's as possible.  Things like Groups wouldn't work really
well (unless you expand the Group and treat it as individual userids and apply
those userids to the IMAP mailboxes).

Our mail server is running Cyrus IMAP (but the same could be said for any
rfc2086-compliant server) .  The Folders acl window can be quite confusing and
overwhelming, first in figuring out how to get there, and then figuring out
what to do with lrswipcda (and what combination means I want to share this
mailbox with someone else).  So if we could first find a good home for "My
Folders" (in the top Application menu) and secondly provide a "basic" Horde
Permissions look and feel, with the option to goto an advanced mode, where you
could get at the raw IMAP acl, as the current acl.php does, would that be a
worthwhile useability enhancement?  You'd end up with a consistent look and
feel across all tier-1 Horde modules (unless there are others that are
considered Tier 1 that I'm not thinking of).

Thoughts?

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer