[imp] Re: How to get envelope-sender header

Daniel Eckl daniel.eckl at gmx.de
Thu Apr 14 09:41:24 PDT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 14. April 2005 18:29 schrieb Michael M Slusarz:
> > Zitat von Camilo Echeverry <camilin at gmail.com>:
> >> Hi.
> >> I was triying to search about this issue in google and figured out
> >> that all messages have the "envelope-sender" words so I couldn't find
> >> anything.
> >>
> >> My question is:
> >> Is there some imp/horde/php/imap  function to retrieve the
> >> envelope-sender header from a mail.
> >> This is because I want to incorporate some external filters which need
> >> this value.
> >
> > If I am not wrong this not possible, because the envelope is only
> > available on the MTA level, while PHP/Horde can only access messages on
> > the IMAP server.
>
> Jan is correct.  The envelope info is only available on the MTA level,
> and there is no way PHP can access this information (e.g. the MTA may
> not even be on the same server as IMP so how would you access it?  IMAP
> has nothing to do with mail transport so it is of no help.)
>
> michael
>
> _______________________________________
> Michael Slusarz [slusarz at curecanti.org]

I think there are some (very rare) MTA's out there which are adding the
envelope from and envelope to as a headers of the mail.

If you show the full headers of your mails and there is a header field like
this, then perhaps (depending on your filtering backend) you can create
filters on that. With cyrus sieve filters you could fiter that server side.

There is a big chance that I misunderstood the question completely, but hey,
that doesn't keep me from answering. :)

Best,
Daniel