[imp] filtering on new/recent IMAP messages

Demetrios J Tsillas jtsillas at appledor.net
Mon Apr 18 05:16:29 PDT 2005

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a filter (ingo) which will get applied whenever
I log in. This filter looks for an user-defined X-DSPAM-Result header
and moves a message to the Spam folder.

The filter works as specified but has one undesireable property:

If I move a message from the Spam folder to the Inbox (due to false
positive spam detection), the filter will move it back to Spam the next
time I log in.

A little research into IMAP flags yielded a possible fix: the RECENT
and NEW flags seem to tell an IMAP client that the message is new or
has not been previously received. Some php code allowed me to add the
flags to the pull down of standard headers and a little integration
with ingo sets the appropriate fields in the IMAP search object.
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have any effect. Could IMP be
caching the IMAP flags; or (more likely) I am doing something wrong.

Any help appreciated and I will gladly generate a diff of my changes.

regards,
-Dimitri.