[imp] Re: filtering on new/recent IMAP messages

liam hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Mon Apr 18 12:56:33 PDT 2005

>> I'm trying to set up a filter (ingo) which will get applied whenever
>> I log in. This filter looks for an user-defined X-DSPAM-Result header
>> and moves a message to the Spam folder.
>>
>> The filter works as specified but has one undesireable property:
>>
>> If I move a message from the Spam folder to the Inbox (due to false
>> positive spam detection), the filter will move it back to Spam the next
>> time I log in.
>>
>> A little research into IMAP flags yielded a possible fix: the RECENT
>> and NEW flags seem to tell an IMAP client that the message is new or
>> has not been previously received. Some php code allowed me to add the
>> flags to the pull down of standard headers and a little integration
>> with ingo sets the appropriate fields in the IMAP search object.
>> Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have any effect. Could IMP be
>> caching the IMAP flags; or (more likely) I am doing something wrong.

What Ingo backend are you using?

Sieve and Procmail only run during delivery.  But, for the IMAP backend,
anything in your INBOX is fair game for filtering - filters can get applied
everytime you access the inbox / hit the "run filters" icon / etc
(depending on
how IMP is configured).

This the behavior you've described sounds like you're using the IMAP backend.

Liam