[imp] Empty mail

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Sat Jun 4 10:32:11 PDT 2005

Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at mail.curecanti.org>:
>
>> Upgrade c-client.  Search the list archives for the thousands of times
>> this has been discussed previously.
>
> What would it take to write a thread-safe replacement for c-client
> (thread-safe
> so that PHP can be made thread-safe, so that it will work with an
> Apache worker
> MPM)?  It seems to me that one of the perpetual problems is the
> finickiness of
> c-client code in PHP, and it would make sense to explore existing or write an
> alternative IMAP library.  No one can even recommend what a "good" version of
> c-client is.  The solution is always to "upgrade c-client", which in many
> cases, if you stick with binary packages, is not an option.  Its kind of like
> the mentality that to fix server problems, just reboot it.  That might
> clear up
> the symptoms but it doesn't fix the underlying problem.

obviously, it would be absolutely fantastic if c-client was rewritten.
The current code doesn't let you know the capabilities of the server,
it's search function is limited to IMAPver2 behavior, etc., etc.  So
now all the PHP community needs is someone to step-up and code it.
Easier asked than done.

And even if it is rewritten, we still would have to support all the
legacy c-client installs that will exist for many years.  ugh.

michael