[imp] Marking forwards, categories?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Thu Jun 9 09:59:57 PDT 2005

> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at mail.curecanti.org>:
>
>> It wouldn't be difficult code-wise, it would just be a performance
>> killer.  If you had 50 look-ups to do on a mailbox page this would be
>> 50 DB queries which, if the history table is large, could take quite
>> some time.
>
> Actually, that could easily be optimized into one db query (probably
> two, one to get ids, one to fetch the History objects). It's getting
> all of the message-id headers that'd be tricky.

True about re-working the query.  As for the second part - we do have
to obtain the MIME structures of all messages (which would include the
Message-IDs) if we are doing message previews for all messages in the
mailbox, so in that particular situation this additional query would
add little overhead.  If we implement this additional query in the full
preview situation, maybe we can note in the preferences that selecting
Previews for all messages will also give you the ability to indicate
replies/forwards in the mailbox screen.

michael