[imp] Sluggish horde/imp

Benoit St-Andre ben at benoitst-andre.net
Tue Jun 21 13:16:04 PDT 2005

Le mar, jun 21, 2005 at 02:04:55 -0600, Kevin Konowalec a écrit:
>  Thanks for your reply!  Unfortunately it didn't help - all my DNS  info is correct as well as my /etc/hosts
>  file.
>
>  I just checked and it seems we have PHP 5 on this machine... could  that be an issue?
>

>  On Jun 21, 2005, at 1:54 PM, Benoit St-Andre wrote:
>
> > Le mar, jun 21, 2005 at 01:39:11 -0600, Kevin Konowalec a écrit:
> >> I'm got an IBM 325E server running OpenBSD with the latest releases
> >> of Horde and Imp.  Cyrus mailserver.  There's lots of memory and lots
> >> of disk.  The mcrypt extension is enabled in php.ini and the garbage
> >> collection is set to be 1/100 probability.  Right now we're in pre-
> >> production mode and only have a handful of concurrent users but
> >> things are incredibly sluggish.  I've tried moving sessions from an
> >> external MySQL backend to local PHP default sessions with zero
> >> effect.  Logging on initially takes upwards of 40 seconds to get to
> >> my inbox.  Is there any place I should be looking for obvious
> >> performance boosts?
> > All the time I had those kind of problems, wrong or incomplete dns
> > information was the key factor. Make sure everything is well in order
> > (information in /etc/hosts , correct dns resolution in /etc/ resolv.conf,
> > etc). Often, we use IP adresses instead of domain names, but it's  easy to
> > forget that a lot of processes in linux do dns query and reverse  dns query
> > in the first time. When you add this effect on a small number of  users,
> > that caused (for us at least) some delays of the same kind that you  are
> > telling.
> > -- Benoit St-André
> > ben at benoitst-andre.net
> > Mon carnet web: http://benoitst-andre.net/blog/
> > Connaissez-vous Linuxédu-Québec ? http://linuxeduquebec.org

Reading myself, I thought I could be a little more specific.

If you try to connect from your horde server to your mail server (say,
using a telnet client), do you get an instant response from your server ?
(maybe your mail server is on the same server as horde, in which case my
dns issues fallout...).
--
Benoit St-André
ben at benoitst-andre.net