[imp] Memory usage in new IMP

Ross Becker ross at rbecker.org
Tue Jun 28 09:45:57 PDT 2005

Hiyas folks,
     I've been running IMP 3.2.1 for about a year now, and this week we
had an issue with users being unable to send attachments.  The
underlying problem turned out to be related to amavisd/clamav, but in
the process of tracking this down, we discovered some problems with IMP;
turns out that if a message had even a 2 megabyte attachment, when it
was saved in the "sent" folder, the attachment would be silently
missing.  I tracked this down to be PHP running out of memory when
copying the message to the sent folder. The configured memory limit of
PHP on this machine was 16 megabytes.

Can anyone tell me if IMP 4.x has improved memory use in situations like
this?  It doesnt seem to me that a 2 megabyte attachment ought to run
PHP out of memory at 16 meg process limit.

Thanks
   Ross