[imp] strange session problem

Julio Molina jcmolina at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:21:52 PDT 2005

Didi Rieder <adrieder <at> sbox.tugraz.at> writes:

> Hi,
>
> we just recently added 2 new servers to our Horde/IMP farm. The old servers
> are running
> under Sparc/Solaris 9 and the new ones under x86/Solaris 10. All theses
> servers are located behind a Cisco loadbalancer and sessions are stored in
> a mysql-DB on a separate
> server. The Horde/IMP installation is the same on all the servers (copied
> from one to all
> the others).
> Now, when a user logs on (IMP is used to authenicate) it gets directed to
> one of the servers by the loadbalancer. Lets assume it is one of the old
> server. After clicking a while and reading messages, the loadbalancer
> directs the request to another server, so far so good. If the request is
> directed to one of the old (Sparc/Solaris 9) servers everything is fine,
> but if the request is directed to one of the new (x86/Solaris 10) servers
> the user gets logged out (imap authenitcation failure).
> If the first login is done on one of the new server, then everything is
> fine as long as the requests are directed to one of the new server. It
> fails again if a switch between an old and a new server is done.
>
> Can someone think of a good reason for this behavior? Or can someone
> suggest a solution
> for the problem?
>
> We could use sticky connections using the session cookie, but then the
> Horde cookie would have to have an uniq prefix for every server (see:
> <http://makeashorterlink.com?E1FE2187B>) and I don't know how to do that.
>
> Thanks for any hint
>
>     Didi

Didi

Have you had any luck solving this issue? I'm having the exact same problem we
have a Cisco CSM Module and 2 Horde/IMP installations. We are having the problem
of users getting logged out due the fact that the loadbalancer sends the session
to a different server. We've tried to configure sticky connections with timers
of 60 minutes and still we are faced with this problem. Our CSM configuration
looks as follows:

 serverfarm WEBMAIL
  nat server
  no nat client
  real X.X.X.X
   inservice
  real X.X.X.X
   inservice
  probe WWW

sticky 3 netmask 255.255.255.255 timeout 60

 vserver WEBMAIL
  virtual X.X.X.X tcp www
  serverfarm WEBMAIL
  sticky 60 group 3
  persistent rebalance
  inservice

I would appreciate any information you can share.