[imp] attachment problems

Colin Farley Colin.Farley at ecarecenters.com
Sun Aug 28 14:42:56 PDT 2005

I'm having a problem with sending attachments over 6MB that I'm hoping
someone can help me with.  I have tried everything I can think of so far
including upgrading to the newest php4 (from 4.3.11 to 4.4.0), upgrading
pear Net_SMTP and various other pear components, tweaking setting in
php.ini (upload_max_filesize, memory_limit, max_execution_time,
max_input_time, post_max_size) and installing and configuring the newest
versions of horde and imp.  None of these have made any improvement.  I
enabled verbose logging on the smtp server that imp talks to and it seems
that it I attach a file bigger than 6MB imp will send the "quit" command
before sending the "data" command and after sending "rcpt to" and reports
that it is unable to send data in the compose window.  I have read with
older versions of Net_SMTP there is a bug that makes this sort of thing
happen if your SMTP server's reply to EHLO does not set a size limit but I
am using the newest version of Net_SMTP and my smtp server does display a
size limit.  I've spent far too much time trying to track down this problem
and although it is very hard for me to actually give up on something I am
going to have to as the mail system I'm building will go into production
soon and there are other things I need to work on.  If anyone has any
ideas/suggestions/comments please feel free to post them, it would
be greatly appreciated.  Below is some info on my setup:

-System:
FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p16 running on VMWare ESX server 2.5.1
-Packages installed:
apache+mod_ssl-1.3.33+2.8.22
php4-4.4.0
php4-bz2-4.4.0
php4-ctype-4.4.0
php4-domxml-4.4.0
php4-extensions-1.0
php4-gd-4.4.0
php4-imap-4.4.0
php4-ldap-4.4.0
php4-mcrypt-4.4.0
php4-mysql-4.4.0
php4-overload-4.4.0
php4-pcre-4.4.0
php4-pear-4.4.0
php4-posix-4.4.0
php4-session-4.4.0
php4-sockets-4.4.0
php4-tokenizer-4.4.0
php4-xml-4.4.0
php4-zlib-4.4.0
-"pear list" output:
Installed packages:
===================
Package        Version State
Archive_Tar    1.3.1   stable
Console_Getopt 1.2     stable
DB             1.7.6   stable
Date           1.4.3   stable
File           1.2.0   stable
HTTP           1.3.6   stable
HTTP_Request   1.2.4   stable
Log            1.8.7   stable
Mail           1.1.4   stable
Mail_Mime      1.3.1   stable
Net_SMTP       1.2.7   stable
Net_Socket     1.0.6   stable
Net_URL        1.0.14  stable
PEAR           1.3.5   stable
XML_Parser     1.2.6   stable
XML_RPC        1.3.0   stable
-test.php output:

 Horde Versions

       Horde: 2.2.5

       IMP: 3.2.5

       Turba: 1.2.2

 PHP Version

       PHP Version: 4.4.0

       PHP Major Version: 4.4

       PHP Minor Version: 0

       PHP Version Classification: release

       You are running a supported version of PHP.

 PHP Module Capabilities

       DOM XML Support: Yes

       FTP Support: No

       Gettext Support: Yes

       IMAP Support: Yes

       LDAP Support: Yes

       MCAL Support: No

       Mcrypt Support: Yes

       MySQL Support: Yes

       PostgreSQL Support: No

       XML Support: Yes

 Miscellaneous PHP Settings

       magic_quotes_runtime disabled: Yes

       file_uploads enabled: Yes

       safe_mode disabled: Yes

       trans_sid disabled: Yes

 PHP Sessions

       Session counter: 2

       To unregister the session:

 PEAR

       PEAR - Yes

       Recent PEAR - Yes

       Mail - Yes

       Log - Yes

       DB - No

       Your version of DB is not recent enough.

       Net_Socket - Yes

       Date - Yes

       HTML_Common/HTML_Select - No

       Horde requires the HTML_Common and HTML_Select classes only for

       Kronolith 1.0 to display forms correctly.

 smtp server's greeting:

 ehlo tst.com

 250-myserver.mydomain.com

 250-PIPELINING

 250-SIZE 8192000

 250-VRFY

 250-ETRN

 250 8BITMIME

 I see this in horde's log:

 HORDE [error] [imp] unable to send data [on line 931 of

 "/path/to/compose.php"]

Database is mysql, attachments are uploaded to a directory on the local
filesystem that is owned by the user that runs the webserver process, I use
IMAP for authentication and horde talks to Cyrus IMAP for mailbox info.  My
goal is to allow sending of attachments that are 8MB, nothing more, but I
cannot get past 6MB.  All other components of this system work perfectly.
Again any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Colin