[imp] Imp/Turba Rewritten W/Ajax (GMAIL On Steroids)

Lee Hoffman lee at terabolic.com
Tue Oct 11 10:06:26 PDT 2005

Hey All,
Just about every free email provider out there has or is launching an
AJAX version of their webmail clients. The usability of such
applications (yahoo's new ajax mail, gmail, hotmail's new beta) blows
non-ajax webmail clients out of the water. Unfortunately that means
that those of us using horde/imp are providing somewhat antiquated
services to our users.

About a year ago the small tech company i run saw this change coming,
and began working on a a rewrite of horde/imp/turba with the explicit
goal of creating something on the web that was as good or better than
email software used on the desktop.

In order to facilitate development (our resources are very slim) we
made a few design choices. We based the front end widgets and rpc
calls on a pre-written library called Domapi (www.domapi.com).  This
dramatically reduced the amount of work needed to implement the project.

We also did not really rewrite all of horde/imp/turba (or even touch
any other horde applications). Instead we tried to leave as much in
tact as possible and abstract new functionality/design choices into
separate files (this also enabled us to license our code modules
separately from horde's GPL, if we chose to do so). We used a hacked
MVC design pattern for new files, and left everything else in tact.

In any case, we now have a very rough alpha demo of the software:

(read notes below first - i.e. USE FIREFOX TO VIEW IT FOR NOW)

http://dev.terabolic.com/webmail/radium/
Username: testuser839
Password: testuser3

A Couple Of Notes On the Status:

1) This only works in firefox right now. IE support is basically
there, but there are a few bugs that prevent it from rendering right
now.

2) Dragging messages, search are not fully implemented. Dragging is
now available in domapi, and should be trivial to implement. Search
is 75% there.

3) We haven't done much with spell check, however there are is GPL
code that uses AJAX to simulate microsoft words style in-line spell
correction and highlighting that i believe we could easily implement.

4) Things are slow now, however I am confident with some work, we can
make this instantaneously fast. We need to optimize, compress data,
and move from JSON RPC to AJAX for transfer mechanism.

5) There are still many bugs that need to be squashed.

6) There is tremendous functionality here, so i encourage everyone to
play with this (right click or double click messages, resize panels,
click on menus, etc...), compose a message.

We've put a significant amount of work into this, but obviously more
is still needed to make it production quality.

Anyway we've used Horde/IMP/etc and many OSS applications for years,
and they have contributed significantly to our business. For some
time I've wanted to give back to the community, but haven't found a
significant way to do it.

As a thank you to the OSS world, I'd like to give this software back
to teh community. Neither I, nor anyone in my company, has any
affiliation with Horde. I do not know what Horde has in teh works,
nor do i know whether or not they would be interested in the code
we've written.

Neither i nor my devs have the experience necessary to make this Open
Source, and manage the project accordingly. As such my first offer is
to give this to Horde and allow them to either branch off or
incorporate what we've done into the horde itself.

If Horde is not interested, we'd like to find someone with experience
in managing/running an OSS project to take the project on in a lead
position.

Obviously licensing with respect to Domapi will be an issue, however
i believe we will be able to work something out with the owner of the
library (i have an acquaintance level relationship with him).

I look forward to hearing from everyone, and I thank the Horde team
and all the developers who contribute to the project for making such
extensible, capable pieces of software.

Sincerely,
Lee

Lee Hoffman