[imp] Narrow text area field for compose in H3-4.0.4

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu Oct 20 11:37:25 PDT 2005

> diff -u prefs.php prefs.php.dist

Sure, but I was looking at it as a way to cut through some of diff's
output.  I don't want to be bothered if there's a formatting change,
nor wade through all the modifications I've made to preferences, but I
do want to know if a preference is new or has been moved to a new
preference group.  Reviewing a 381 line diff vs. getting a list of one
changed item is the reality of what I'd be looking at with my current
HEAD prefs for Horde.  It's not the end all, be all solution - just a
quick way to inform an admin that this prefGroup has been added (or
changed names) and this pref has been added or deleted.  Not a big deal
if you track daily changes but if you refresh infrequently, could be
useful.  Think of it as a diff Executive Summary (or more likely Admin
Summary :)

> Honestly, what makes much more sense is to port the prefs setting to
> use xml based files like the configuration.

Agreed, but while I think I could come up with a simple pref diff
script, conversion of the prefs setting to XML is a bit more than I'm
cut out to write.  Also, because prefs.php is a PHP script, how would
you embed logic in an XML file (example, if you allow certain users to
set multiple identies but lock that preference otherwise).  You'd loose
some flexibility I think

Sorry about the earlier dupe post.  My HEAD install wedged when trying
to send the original message and I thought it hadn't gone through.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator