[imp] runaway process

ben@roboticat.com ben at roboticat.com
Fri Oct 28 14:32:09 PDT 2005

Jan,

The docs in the servers.php file say this:

* namespace: This is where you put any paths that you want stripped out
*            for presentation purposes (i.e. you don't want your users to
*            have to know that their personal folders are actually
*            subfolders of their INBOX). A common value for this with
*            Cyrus/Courier-IMAP servers is 'INBOX.'.
*
*            NOTE: If you have shared folders, using this may create
*            confusion between shared folders and personal folders if users
*            have folders with the same name as a shared folder.
*
*            *** If you use this option, DO NOT SET 'folders' ALSO! ***

I think the point where I was confused was that there is nothing in my
maildir that is actually called INBOX in the filesystem.  The namespace
config variable deals with "paths" so I was thinking actual parts of my
filesystem.  I did figure it out on my own because my folders listed
correctly only if I put 'INBOX.' in the namespace.  I don't really
understand what the '.' correlates to in terms of filesystem or naming,
but it works so I'm not complaining.

I don't think the namespace issue was the cause of the runaway process
issue (or not the only one).  I think that stale mmcache files was the
cause of the runaway process issue.  I cleared them (and added a line
to my apachectl script to clear them) and now things are working fine.

You asked whats wrong with the docs, heres my suggestion:

I think the docs should include an example that corelates files to
namespace like:

In your Maildir:

Namespace               Path

INBOX.                  Maildir/.
INBOX.subspace          Maildir/.subspace
INBOX.sub.subspace      Maildir/.sub/.subspace

Then it would be easier to figure out how you are supposed to set the
namespace.  If my chart is misleading, please correct it as I don't
want to lead others astray.

Thanks,

Ben